IT Service Desk
The IT Service Desk should be your first point of contact for any technical assistance you may need. For everything from problems resetting your password, to issues accessing Moodle or OnePort, if it has to do with UNC Asheville technology the IT Service Desk is the place to start! The IT Service Desk provides free, basic software support to all UNC Asheville students. The Service Desk cannot provide hardware support, but they can assist you in determining the warranty status of your computer or recommending a local computer hardware repair service
Students living in the residence halls can connect to the internet via a high-speed wired connection (one per student in a residence hall room or suite.) Wireless access is also available in all residence halls, academic buildings and administrative buildings. Installing your own wireless router/access point in the residence halls is prohibited.
Google Apps for Education
Your UNC Asheville email account is actually a Gmail account! If you're familiar with Gmail, then using your campus email account, docs, drive, calendar, and sites will be second nature.
Your @unca.edu account does not have access to certain Google services, such as Google+ or Maps, due to legal constraints.
ITS supports both open use and departmental computer labs across campus.
Lab patrons must save their work to Google Docs, a USB key, or other external storage to avoid data loss. ITS cannot retrieve data lost in the computer labs. Lab computers are wiped clean when they are shut down or rebooted.
There are several software products which students have access to at no charge, or at significant discounts, including Microsoft Office, Microsoft Windows, and the Adobe suite of products. Visit UNCA's On the Hub page for details.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Do you have any tips on taking care of my computer?
- How can I avoid viruses and identity theft?
- How do I change my UNC Asheville passwords?
- What is the student network/computer use policy?
- How does UNC Asheville handle copyright infringement (illegal downloading)?
- How can I get a job with ITS?
What kind of computer should I buy before coming to UNC Asheville?
Currently there is no "standard" for student computers on campus, these decisions are largely driven by the student's major and personal preference. ITS recommends contacting the department you will be studying with to see if they have any suggestions regarding computer hardware and software they might find useful.
UNC Asheville uses Apple and Dell machines for our faculty, staff, and labs. You may want to review the specifications for those computers to give you an idea of what we use.
ITS does not sell or support student hardware.
Non-ITS campus technical services
Here are some links to other campus technical products/services which are not provided by ITS.
- Pay for Print - Use your OneCard to pay for printing in computer labs. Each student receives $10 free printing per semester. You will need to set your OneCard PIN in order to use pay for print services.
- OneCard - The UNC Asheville OneCard is your student ID card and has many uses including pay-for-print services in computer labs.
- Copy Center - For all your printing, copying, and related needs.
- Lynda.com - Ramsey Library provides access to Lynda.com, an online training resource covering many topics.
- Laptop Checkout - Ramsey Library provides laptops for checkout through the Circulation Desk for use in the Library.
Is there additional information you'd like to see here? Do you have a suggestion for a product or service which would benefit your fellow students? Let us know by contacting our Chief Information Officer, Jeff Brown, at email@example.com.