Here are a few tips to help keep your computer in good working order:
- Always use your carrying case when moving your laptop. Even a short fall can damage the hard drive and result in the complete loss of your data!
- Do not use Windex, alcohol, or ammonia to clean LCD screens. Microfiber or very soft cloths are the best options for cleaning LCD screens.
- Avoid extreme heat or cold. Computers operate best in the same temperatures that you do. Never leave your laptop outside or in a car for extended periods.
- Avoid getting the computer wet. Never power on a wet machine! If the machine does become wet carefully unplug the power from the wall and contact the Service Desk immediately!
- Keep the computer away from strong magnets or equipment that generates magnetic fields. In extreme situations this can cause data loss.
- Do not block or push anything into the air vents. This will cause the machine to overheat.
- Do not leave your laptop or case unattended. Laptops are easy to spot and prime targets for theft!
- When traveling, do not check your laptop with your luggage, always carry it with you.
- Backup your data frequently and store the backups in a safe place.