- Why is Cyber Security a Problem?
- Choosing and Protecting Passwords – You will be required to change your UNC Asheville password every 90 days. You will receive a daily email with instructions 15 days prior to the expiration of your current password.
- Understanding Anti-Virus Software – All UNC Asheville computers are equipped with an automatically updating anti-virus suite.
- Understanding Firewalls
- Coordinating Virus and Spyware Defense – All UNC Asheville computers are equipped with an automatically updating anti-malware suite.
- Debunking Some Common Myths
- Good Security Habits
- Safeguarding Your Data
- Real-World Warnings Keep You Safe Online
Attacks and Threats
- Dealing with Cyberbullies
- Understanding Hidden Threats: Corrupted Software Files
- Understanding Hidden Threats: Rootkits and Botnets
- Recovering from Viruses, Worms, and Trojan Horses
- Recognizing and Avoiding Spyware
- Avoiding Social Engineering and Phishing Attacks
- Understanding Denial-of-Service Attacks
- Identifying Hoaxes and Urban Legends
Email and Communication
- Using Caution with Email Attachments – UNC Asheville Google Mail automatically scans incoming and outgoing email for viruses. Google Mail will not allow the sending of .exe files as attachments.
- Reducing Spam – UNC Asheville Google Mail automatically filters spam.
- Staying Safe on Social Network Sites – Facebook games and apps are increasingly common vectors for viruses and malware.
- Protecting Portable Devices: Physical Security – Please contact UNC Asheville Public Safety immediately if you have something stolen.
- Protecting Portable Devices: Data Security
- Using Caution with USB Drives
- Understanding Your Computer: Web Browsers
- Evaluating Your Web Browser’s Security Settings
- Shopping Safely Online
- Browsing Safely: Understanding Active Content and Cookies
- Understanding Web Site Certificates
- Understanding Internationalized Domain Names
- Understanding Bluetooth Technology
- Avoiding Copyright Infringement
Software and Applications
- Understanding Patches – All UNC Asheville computers managed by ITS are configured to automatically update and apply patches as they become available.
- Understanding Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP)
- Risks of File-Sharing Technology
- Reviewing End-User License Agreements
- Understanding Your Computer: Operating Systems