Need help getting online? Call the ITS Service Desk at 828.251.6445, or send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org
Connecting to the Wireless Network (UNC Asheville Faculty, Staff, Students and Guests)
To connect to the UNC Asheville wifi network, your computer or device must be configured while on campus.
- Students, Faculty, and Staff please see the Quick Setup Instructions below.
Please note that while we are happy to assist in getting you connected to campus wireless, ITS does not otherwise support personally owned equipment.
The following is a brief description of the wireless networks (SSIDs) you'll see on campus.
- UNCA_Setup: This is the first network new devices connect to in order to be setup/configured for the other wireless networks below.
- eduroam: This is the primary, secure wifi network for current students, faculty, and staff. This network is certificate based and utilizes EAP-TLS, one of the most secure wireless technologies available. Access is valid for 1 year.
- UNCA_PSK: This network is for devices that do not support advanced network encryption, such as older computers and many gaming consoles. The UNCA_PSK network provides less secure, and lower-priority connectivity. Access is valid for 6 months.
- UNCA_Wifi: This network is for guests. Access is limited to basic internet (web and email) only. This network should not be used for university business or with sensitive personal information. Access is valid for up to 7 days.
Please visit our UNCA Wireless Guide for a list of supported devices for each network.
Quick Setup Instructions
UNCA utilizes the XpressConnect software to automate your connection to the campus wireless network. The XpressConnect setup must be performed on campus while connected to "UNCA_Setup" network.
- Connect to the "UNCA_Setup" network.
- Visit wifi.unca.edu in your web browser.
- Follow the on-screen instructions.
If you have trouble connecting to the wireless network please visit the ITS Service Desk (located in the Ramsey Library behind the Reference Desk).
Please visit our UNCA Wireless Guide for Detailed Device-Specific Instructions and Videos
802.11g wireless is currently available in the following areas:
- Ramsey Library
- Highsmith Union
- Brown Hall
- Reuter Center
- Phillips Hall
- Karpen Hall
- Rhoades/Robinson Hall
- Zeis Hall
- Whitesides Hall
- Zageir Hall
- Owen Hall
- Carmichael Hall and Humanities Lecture Hall
- Carol Belk Theater
- Weizenblatt Health Center
- Lipinsky Hall
- Willma Sherrill Health & Wellness Center
- Justice Center
- Governors Village (Ashe, Gardner, Hoey, Moore, Scott)
- Residence Halls (Founders, Mills, South Ridge, West Ridge, Governors, Overlook)